the shell of a havie nut

Friday, January 26, 2007

Havie Australia Day!!!

HAVAIANAS celebrated Australia Day in the only way the Aussies love...the BEACH! The event was called THONG CHALLENGE. This is a world record attempt for the longest line of airbeds in water. 5 states were vying for the record. Last year's winner was New South Wales with 863 people lying from end to end. According to the website it has been an annual event, but since I'm a newbie with havies I only get to experience it this year.

I've been incessantly busy as a beaver since first week of January with 5 projects overlapping with one another and this week as expected was not an exception. We were supposed to attend a birthday party of a special little girl today but I have to beg off because the Boss requested me to report to work for something urgent. But the Thong gods must really be on my side today...because I was able to scram my way out of Richmond by 1130 and dash to St. Kilda Beach. I scribbled my name on a registration pad in the nick of time! And chat my around to joining the crowd.

I told myself I will not pay $35 for that air float! Never! Did I say NEVER? Yea, that's right...I can never say NO to Havaianas when it's right infront of me. It's got such a magnetic, hypnotic element that transcends.....I won't go into that. Anyway, here's the problem.... I am SCARED of sea water! I can swim in a pool where I know the depths and ends, but not in australian waters where anything can happen...I'll give you some bonus like white sharks having a feel of the shallow waters, teeny weeney jellyfish that stings the life out of you in a sec...oh the list is endless! As soon as I got the paperwork done, I started praying..."Please Lord...don't let my air float tumble upside down. Hold me steady and don't let any jellyfish get near me." I was seriously out of my wits for signing my name without thinking!

OK wimp! Time to get on to the waters and dip that fat butt of yours!

The experience was oh so awesome! I mingled with kids, mums, dads, grandpas, teens, hunks. And whilst on the water, gripping my air float thongs tight...ummm make that Very Tight. I almost...almost wanted to kick that boy on my left who's enjoying the water so much that he tends to move a lot. The place seemed like a partyground for him...splashing water on his dad's...pushing here and there...turning around...affecting...affecting my buoyancy! Oh my precious buoyancy! How do I tell him to stay put coz there'll be serious consequences if the person oh his right loses her balance? I must've spent my silent minutes ringing emergency bells to all the heavenly saints known to me. But then as I am typing these out...I think I did enjoy that scene afterall... I knew I was laughing out loud at some remarks of people talking to the Havaianas crew about our line looking like a loop, or are we winning...or how long are we gonna stay afloat...we're starving...can they bring over the sizzle sausages!

And OH! Did I forget to tell you that at some point we have to hold the ankle of the person on our right and the wave when you hear the siren but keep still in the line?! Impossible but probable for other people not my kind. :D But reader, I've done it! Done it well! And as soon as I got off St. Kilda waters..I was a changed woman. Hahaha!

Here are some photos of the event. To the Havaianas Crew...it's been a GREAT GREAT TIME for all of us. THANK YOU!

OZ! OZ! OZ! OI! OI! OI!












5 Comments:

  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger Jesse said…

    wow, that floating with those 'havaianas' must've been really fun! haha

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey, great page!

    i just have a question: do you know if havaianas sizes run true to sneaker sizes?

    i wear US size 12 sneakers but according to a sizing chart my havaianas would be US size 9 (i measured my foot to be 27.5 cm).

    the sizing chart is from this website: http://www.igapost.com/catalog/sizechart.html

    thanks!

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger mga taratitat ni maria said…

    hi j,

    i'm sorry but i haven't checked that myself. i'd rather that you visit the retail stores and fit one for your first purchase. it's safer that way, and havaianas is available almost everywhere now anyway.

    have fun with your havies! :)

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Jesse said…

    hmmm, yep. i agree.

    havaianas sizing are not that constant(it goes erratic sometimes)...

    why don't you just, yes, go try a pair...

    hmmm

    ms bex, i think the havaianas floater is cool! wahaha

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cute! I admire your collection!! Galing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home